Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mini Horse

EDIT 1/25/14: I removed a round and solved some confusing instructions on rounds 4 & 5 of the head.

EDIT 7/7/13: It was brought to my attention that the head had a problem on rnd 4. I have resolved this problem, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

I was sending a package to a friend who rides and loves horses. I was sending her knucks, so I wanted to include a little amigurumi with them. I searched and searched for small horse patterns, but they were either too chibi or too My Little Pony, so I created my own! The mane and tail were a tad bit on the difficult side, but you don't have to do them the way I did mine. I will say though, that this pattern is complicated due to it's size. You must be very patient to begin and finish this project. Also, my original copy of the pattern was kind of messy, so I apologize if anything is incorrect or confusing. Here's my Mini Horse!


Mini Horse


Materials:
Scissors
Yarn needle
Polyester fiberfill (pillows work :)
F hook (3.75 mm or #5)
Any color yarn of your choice for the body (I used Red Heart With Love Berry Red)
Any color yarn of your choice for the mane and tail (I used Red Heart Super Saver Solids Light Gray)
Any color yarn you choose for the hooves (I used Red Heart Super Saver Solids Black)

Note: All the yarn I used was worsted weight. You only need a minimal amount of hoof color.

Notes:
Gauge isn't that important, just so long as your stitches are tight so that the stuffing won't show or fall out.
 The (parentheses) at the end of each Rnd/Row indicate the number of stitches at the end of that Rnd/Row.
 I work in continuous rounds (aka spiral rounds), but if your prefer to join at the end of each round that's fine. I also decrease in front loops only because I've heard that it makes the decrease stitch less visible.
 If you don't know what a Magic Ring is don't panic! It's also called Magic Loop or Magic Circle. Here's an alternative: If the pattern says 6 sc in Magic Ring you can ch 2 and 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook and join stitches. I prefer working with a Magic Ring because you can pull it as tight as you want so that the stuffing won't show. Most people I have tried to teach the Magic Ring to throw their crochet hooks and yarn on the floor in a huffy, but I myself find it fairly easy depending on how many stitches are in it. If you'd like to learn how to make one I found THIS LINK very helpful. The only person I've had success with teaching is my sister. Just use whatever you feel most comfortable using.
The mane and tail is made the same way I made Jynx's hair. You don't have to use this method. Use whichever method you feel most comfortable using. Here's the link for the way I did it.
 
 In this pattern I used the terms single crochet (sc), slip stitch (sl st), 2 sc in next sc (inc), decrease over next 2 stitches (dec), and Front Loops Only (FLO)
 
Head: 
Rnd 1: 5 sc in Magic Ring (5)
Rnd 2: inc around (10)
Rnd 3: sc in each (10)
Rnd 4: dec 2 times, sc in next 2, dec 2 times (6)
Rnd 5: in FLO, inc in each (12)
Rnd 6: sc in 1, inc around (18)
Rnd 7: sc in 2, inc around (24)
Rnd 8-10: sc in each (24)
Rnd 11: sc in 2, dec around (18)
Rnd 12: sc in 1, dec around (12)
Rnd 13: sc in 1, dec around (8)
Rnd 14: sc in next 2, dec twice, sc in last 2 (6)
 F/O. Weave end in last row and pull to close.
 
Ears: (make 2)
Row 1: ch 5, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across (4)
Row 2: sc across (4)
Row 3: dec in each (2)
Row 4: dec (1)
 F/O. Weave in ends.
 
Body:
Rnd 1: 6 sc in Magic Ring (6)
Rnd 2: inc in each (12)
Rnd 3: sc in 1, inc around (18)
Rnd 4: sc in 2, inc around (24)
Rnd 5-7: sc in each (24)
Rnd 8: sc in 2, dec around (18)
Rnd 9: sc in each (18)
Rnd 10: sc in 1, dec around (12)
Rnd 11-12: sc in each (12)
Rnd 13: sc in 1, inc around (18)
Rnd 14: sc in 2, inc around (24)
Rnd 15-16: sc in each (24)
Rnd 17: sc in 2, dec around (18)
Rnd 18: sc in 1, dec around (12)
Rnd 19: dec around (6)
 F/O. Weave ends in last row and pull to close.
 
Legs: (make 4) begin in hoof color,
Rnd 1: 8 sc in Magic Ring (8)
Rnd 2: sc in each (8) change to body color
Rnd 3: sc in 2, dec around (6)
Rnd 4-6: sc in each (6)
Rnd 7: Begin shoulder(optional) ch 1, turn, sc in 2, ch 1 turn
Rnd 8: sc in each
 F/O. Weave in ends.
 
Assembly:
Sew everything together (you know what a horse looks like :) and then make the mane and tail. Sew to appropriate spots and embroider black eyes with a white shine on the head. FINITO!
 
 
This pattern is an original pattern, © Gemma Taylor (June 2013). Please don't claim this pattern as your own. If you want to share this pattern, I give you permission to link to it if you'd like, but please don't repost/reprint the pattern on your own website. You can print and keep a copy for your own personal use (I like doing this myself), but you cannot sell, distribute it, or sell items made from this pattern in any way possible without permission from moi. Thank you! :D

5 comments:

  1. Um . . . I just found this pattern, so I don't know what Round 4 looked like before you resolved it, but it's not making sense to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed the problem. It was my lazy jargon. Sorry 'bout that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont understand Rnd 7 (legs). Could U explain more in detail for me ^^. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a school event for my daughter coming up as a fund raiser. can I use the finished horses from your pattern as long as I make sure your blog is with it on a tag? They are trying to raise funds for the band.

    Also if you can can you please explain rnd 7 of the legs? i'm a bit confused-- thanks bunches!!

    Michele in FL- USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele: Yes you may, thank you so much for asking! I am so sorry for the late reply!

    Rnd 7 of the legs would be the beginning of making an optional shoulder. You could stop the pattern on Rnd 6 if you wanted, but if you wanted a little more leg to sew to the body, making the shoulder is a great idea. You would ch 1 like you're making a foundation chain, turn your work so that you are working in the opposite direction, and then sc in 2 stitches. Then you would ch 1, turn your work so that it's facing the correct way again, and then sc in each stitch (Rnd 8) including the stitches on the little ridge you just made.

    Hope this helps, and again, I am so sorry for the late reply!

    ReplyDelete